Seeing The World Through Their Eyes

Have you ever been left scratching your head trying to figure out why your opponent played the hand the way he did? I certainly did so I found a fish and hooked him up to the USB port on my computer and did the same to myself. The results of this experiment are below:

This is how I saw the table:

gamb00l1.gif

And this is how the fish was seeing the table:

gamb00l2.gif

As you can clearly see, there’s a distinct difference between how the fish’s brain perceives the table and how most other players (if I am representative of “other” players) see the table.

Of course, these results are very preliminary. I will certainly need to perform more tests before coming to any conclusions. For instance, I will need to confirm this on a larger population of fish. I will also need to determine how fish react when shocked with high voltage in response to poor play (Ok, that one really isn’t part of this experiment. That’s just kind of fun.). However, I do plan on releasing a full study of this behavior in the hopes of advancing the science of poker.

Check out our Poker Humor section for more funny poker posts.

Bill Rini

Bill Rini has been working in the online poker industry since 2004. He was a product manager for poker at Full Tilt and was the poker room manager at PartyPoker. Currently, Bill is the Head of Online Poker for WSOP.   Bill has been blogging about online poker since 2003 and is considered one of the leading authorities on the online poker industry.   "I like What Bill Rini said in his blog" - Doyle Brunson   "In other news, we had Bill Rini write an absolutely home run blog." Daniel Negreanu   "Industry insider Bill Rini has one of the most popular blogs in poker, with thousands of subscribers and fans regularly coming back for his universally respected insight into the industry" - Barry Carter (News editor for PokerStrategy, Co-Author: The Mental Game of Poker)

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. tyler says:

… and you made me laugh!
    Really love your blog, I’m thinking about a big scientific study on fishy behaviour on the stock market haha :D

2. John says:

Your Photoshop skills suck dood, stop being cheap and hire a graphics pro.

3. MDB says:

LOL … that’s beautiful… apart from the fact that is how I see the table when I’ve had a few beers

4. roqq says:

the fold button isn’t broken, it’s just tiny and in a corner. U R a funny bastard, Bill

5. asphnxma says:

When holding unsuited connectors below ten, they get a +4 to runner-runner summoning, it’s true. It’s offset somewhat by a -3 initiative penalty though.

6. -EV says:

Great post! But isn’t the “fold” button broken or otherwise out of service for most fish? I suppose they also have the ability to summon runner-runner suckouts more or less at will… is there a button they have for that?

7. -EV says:

8. iggy says:

lol, well done. again.

9. April says:

I truly am LMAO. You rock Bill.

1. February 6, 2005

Week in review for 02.06.05

Let’s start this week with Human Head’s Think Big post on gambling prohibition. It’s always good to stay current with legal developments on the evolving sport of poker. Next, I think Bad Blood’s heir is the youngest person to check-raise,…

Protected with SiteGuarding.com Antivirus